Sourdough...  


What a journey.  I was fine baking yeasted breads for a while, but really wanted to get good at that "illusive" sourdough.  After reading tons of information of the subject, watching dozens of videos, looking through dozens of recipes - the amount of information was overwhelming.  I wish there was someone there just to summarize the following:

  • Make sure starter is active
  • Mix the flour, water, starter and salt
  • Few stretches and folds to strengthen the dough
  • Let the dough rise at room temperature to 80%
  • Gently shape
  • Cold ferment
  • Score and bake
This really is not that much different from the yeasted breads. The turning point for me was a book that I was gifted:  Emily Raffa's "Artisan Sourdough Made Simple"...  The turning point for me was a book that


That very first "Everyday Sourdough" recipe in her book is what really gave me a better understanding of the sourdough bread making process and that sourdough is really is not that much different from the yeasted breads. 




Comments